Monday, July 25, 2016

UNFINISHED

UNFINISHED

Tell him, please tell him -
At long last I met him.
At that time at the end of a shower,
the sun had come out and touched
the blooming bunch of Gulmohar flowers.
At the temple inside the forest,
there was sound of music from the trees,
The song of praise of the eternal was heard –
Tears flowed from my eyes,
I felt humbled by the prayer,
Mesmerized were my mind and soul.

Over how many births and rebirths,
the boon from the gods
-on speechless nights of destiny -
has been writing across the sky,
words of reassurance of this meeting of ours!
Along the shore of existence,
I have carried the message of that meeting
through the flow of my blood.
Looking at the distant sky, my eager eyes
search for a note for the lyric embedded in that meeting.

Please tell him today –
‘We have come to know each other now.
You guest of mine, silently and repeatedly
like a shadow - trembling – you came to my door.
On how many nights of the month of Chaitra
-through the fragrance of unseen flowers -
your breath coming close to me, vibrated my veil
and made the strings of the sitar cry.’

Please tell him today –
‘I felt deeply ashamed within.
I could not say anything as my throat was choked,
Neither did I have the dress befitting the occasion.
It is full moon that is hidden in my bosom,
It was the new moon only, that you encountered that day.
Day by day, my dear, my offerings are bound to increase -
Please forgive me for my penury of the day.’

Dr DEBIDAS RAY.

English translation of Rabindranath Tagore’s poem entitled
“Asamapta” from his collection of poems “Mahua” in
SANCHAYITA, 11th.ed 2010, pp625-6

Original Bengali poem first line – bolo, tare bolo


Published in THE VISVA-BHARATI QUARTERLY
Volume 24 Numbers 2 & 3 July 2015 – December 2015 pp2-3

No comments:

Post a Comment